Author(s): Z. Yu
Paper category : conference
Book title: SCC'2005-China: 1st International Symposium on Design, Performance and Use of Self-Consolidating Concrete
Editor(s): Zhiwu Yu, Caijun Shi, Kamal Henri Khayat and Youjun Xie
Publisher: RILEM Publications SARL
Publication year: 2005
Pages: XIII - XIII
Total Pages: 1
Abstract: Self-consolidating concrete, also known as self-compacting concrete (SCC) can be placed and consolidating under its own-weight without any mechanical vibration, and is at the same time cohesive enough to be handled with acceptable segregation or bleeding. SCC has many advantages over conventional concrete:
(1) eliminating the need for vibration;
(2) decreasing the construction time and labor cost;
(3) reducing noise pollution;
(4) improving the filling capacity of highly congested structural members;
(5) improving the interfacial transitional zone between cement paste and aggregate or
(6) decreasing the permeability and improving durability of concrete, and
(7) facilitating constructability and ensuring good structural performance.
SCC has been attracting more and more attention world-widely since its introduction in the late 1980's. New applications for SCC are being increasingly explored because of its many advantages over conventional concrete.
SCC has been used for many projects in China. However, there still no official standards and specifications for the testing and evaluation of the properties of SCC. This is the first international symposium held in China in the field of SCC. More than a dozen of experts from Europe, Japan, US and Canada are invited to make presentations on different topics of SCC. 77 papers from 15 countries are included in these proceedings. It is hoped that this conference will promote exchange of the most recent information, development of test methods and specifications and lead to increased acceptance and use of SCC.
Online publication: 2005-04-11
Publication type : full_text
Public price (Euros): 0.00