Amounts and Composition of Construction Waste from Residential Buildings

Title: Amounts and Composition of Construction Waste from Residential Buildings
Author(s): Baum
Paper category : conference
Book title: International RILEM Conference on the Use of Recycled Materials in Building and Structures
Editor(s): E. Vázquez, Ch. F. Hendriks and G.M.T. Janssen
Print-ISBN: 2-912143-52-7
e-ISBN: 2912143756
Publisher: RILEM Publications SARL
Publication year: 2004
Pages: 201 - 207
Total Pages: 7
Nb references: 6
Language: English

Abstract: The amount of construction waste in Israel is estimated at about 7.5 million tons a
year, which is 40% more than the total domestic waste, and constitutes about 2/3 of
the local solid waste. These numbers are not supported by systematic on-site
measurements, but rather are based on estimations. In order to establish an
enforcement policy, as well as treatment measures for the waste (i.e. reusing or
recycling), it is important to systematically collect on-site data, so as to determine in a
reliable manner the predicted amounts of construction waste generated in any given
project. Information concerning waste constituents, their relative quantities and the
construction activity that generates them is essential in order to identify appropriate
solutions for their recycling. The article presents results of research carried out in
Israel concerning the accumulation of construction waste in landfilling sites, as well
as monitoring the quantities of waste produced on new residential construction sites.
Components such as concrete, steel, wood, bricks, tiles, plastic and paper, in relatively
large amounts, were observed at all sites. The non-inert materials (plastic, aluminum,
gypsum, etc.) constitute about 36% of the total amount of waste. The remaining 64%
can actually be recycled into construction materials.
The stage of finishing works generates about 3 times the amount of waste
generated during the construction of the structural frame. During the execution of
structural frame works, about 60% of the waste consists of concrete and steel, whereas
during the finishing works stage, the relative amount of plastics, paper and cardboard
increases significantly. Based on the monitoring data collected from ten sites, it was
found that the construction of 1 m 2 of a new residential building generates about 0.2
m 3 of waste.

Online publication: 2004-09-29
Publication type : full_text
Public price (Euros): 0.00
doi: 10.1617/2912143756.023

>> You must be connected to view the paper. You can register for free if you are not a member