The International Union of Laboratories and Experts in Construction Materials, Systems and Structures (RILEM, from the name in French) was founded in June 1947, with the aim to promote scientific cooperation in the area of construction materials and structures.
Today, the new meaning of the acronym RILEM (Réunion Internationale des Laboratoires et Experts des Matériaux, systèmes de construction et ouvrages) emphasises its dominant focus on people as well as its worldwide activities, covering 70 countries.
The mission of the association is to advance scientific knowledge related to construction materials, systems and structures and to encourage transfer and application of this knowledge world-wide.
This mission is achieved through collaboration of leading experts in construction practice and science including academics, researchers, testing laboratories and authorities.
The three main goals of RILEM are:
- to promote sustainable and safe construction, and improved performance and cost benefit for society,
- to stimulate new directions of research and its applications, promoting excellence in construction,
- to favour and promote cooperation at international scale by general access to advanced knowledge.
Our world‑wide goals are:
- To promote environmental friendly, safe and sustainable construction
- To improve performance and cost benefit for users and general public
- To engage top experts of construction practice and in science as well as promising young scientists and engineers
- To involve a broad range of players including academics, researchers, testing laboratories, suppliers, contractors, owners and authorities
- To ensure networking
- To promote education and training
- To encourage the formation of active regional groups
- To provide a platform of experts in interdisciplinary terms
- To stimulate new orientations of research and application
- To promote and maintain excellence in research and technology
- To prepare and widely disseminate outstanding RILEM products such as guides to good practice, recommendations (and if required also pre-standards), proceedings of symposia and workshops, state of the art reports, data basis, and International Journals.
You can find an updated RILEM presentation here. If you wish to use the slides to present RILEM at your conference or in your organization, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will send you the PPT version.